Thursday, September 04, 2014

4 weeks to the off!

Hi. My name is Dan and in a little over 4 weeks I'll be heading out to Nepal for 6 months as Manisha's latest volunteer. While this is a little scary, it is far more exciting and I know I'll be well supported throughout this amazing opportunity. 11 million people in Nepal live on less than $1.51 a day so I'm thrilled to have a chance to make a positive contribution to the lives of some of the poorest people in Asia.

In Nepal I'll be working with Manisha's twin schools to deliver a teacher training program to help develop the quality of teaching in partner schools. This will build on the fantastic work already carried out by Andy and Rob. As well as modelling good practice to local teachers, we'll be seeking out the leaders who can disperse this practice more widely through the school to benefit all the pupils.

Having only recently qualifed as a teacher, the prospect to telling some experienced teachers how to go about their jobs is quite daunting, but I'm assured they are receptive to new approaches. In turn I've no doubt I'll benefit from having my own pedagogy challenged and will be a better teacher for the experience. I'm looking forward to a very much two way learning exchange.

In addition to teacher training Manisha supports schools by providing resources and a large part of my role will be taking resources into schools ensuring they are utilised effectively. Previous volunteers have already got all the schools set up with whiteboards and other resources so I'll need to take a close look at what is needed next. I'll also seek to deliver some ICT training, so that any computing resources can be well utilses and to help the schools communicate effectively with their twin schools in the UK.

For the next few weeks I'll be buying my supplies and resources, planning lessons and attempting to master a few phrases. I'll update this blog regularly once I've arrived with news and pictures from each of the schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment